Educational institutions across the country deliver a wide range of educational opportunities to enrich the lives of children.
Field trips, team sports, and other extracurricular activities provide students with dynamic, new ways to understand the world beyond the classroom setting. Yet accidents can interrupt these activities. In Canada, schools and public parks are the most prevalent locations for sustaining playground injuries that result in a child’s visit to an emergency clinic.*
With AIG’s Student Accident Insurance, we can help provide financial protection in the event of a covered accident. Covering all types of student activities from after-school camps to interscholastic sports—on or off premises—our plans also complement an organization’s general liability (GL) plan by covering injuries under a separate accident policy.
*Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health (Public Health). March 2013.
Features & Benefits
- Serves as a complement to general liability by covering injuries under a separate accident policy; claims paid will not affect an organization’s GL experience
- Helps mitigate an organization’s reputational and liability risks should an unexpected accident or injury occur; benefits are paid regardless of fault
- Members can have confidence that coverage will complement medical insurance and financial needs if an accident occurs
- Provides a lump sum payment that can be used at the insured’s discretion
- Provides coverage for school-sponsored and supervised activities, including interscholastic and intramural sports, and non-sport extracurricular activities including band, cheerleading, and gym class
- Offers coverage during participation in the activity as well as travel to and from the activity
- Offers weekly cash benefits that can help pay expenses while members are partially or totally disabled as a result of an accident.
- Helps organizations fulfill their commitment to their members’ well-being
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Accidental Para-Medical Expense Reimbursement
- Weekly Accident Indemnity
- Partial Disability Weekly Accident Indemnity
- A broad range of other benefits are available, including benefits for travel accident, in-hospital stays, family transportation, repatriation, home alteration, and vehicle modification.
We can offer customized insurance solutions for schools to support their specific needs. Click below to learn more about each of our coverage options.
Provides a lump sum payment for a covered accident that result in a loss of life, limbs, speech, hearing or sight. An affordable benefit for covered individuals for which the sponsor pays the plan cost.
When unforeseen accidents occur, those affected may need a wide range of services ranging from ambulance transport and physiotherapy to rental of mobility aids. Our Accidental Para-Medical Expense benefit can help injured members pay for additional medical needs that may not be covered under provincial health plans, such as ambulance services, semi-private hospital rooms, mobility aids, private duty nursing, prescription drugs*, and para-medical services.
* Not available in the province of Quebec
Replaces potential lost income of a participant through indemnity payments for short-term disability(ies) due to a covered accident.
Pays monthly cash benefits for the duration of an insured’s hospital stay due to a covered accidental injury. Supplements provincial hospital coverage and helps protect against unforeseen costs such as parking and transportation costs, child care, and private accommodations.
- Home Alteration and Vehicle Modification to make an insured’s residence or vehicle habitable and wheel-chair accessible as a result of a covered accident
- Burn Benefit for insureds who suffer severe burns as a result of a covered accident
- Repatriation for the preparation and transportation of an insured’s mortal remains to home in the event of death
- Bereavement benefit to pay for covered grief counselling expenses for the insured and his/her family members if the insured suffers a covered accident
Through AIG’s wholly-owned global assistance company, we offer a broad spectrum of assistance services that can be integrated into any of the programs we provide. Our services are delivered through an international network of wholly-owned assistance centres that operate 24/7 and that are staffed with doctors and nurses as well as multi-lingual/multi-cultural specialists who coordinate assistance services. We offer a comprehensive range of medical, travel, security and personal assistance services, including:
Our assistance coordinators are just a phone call away to help with a wide array of unexpected travel problems including lost passports, prescription replacements, tracking down lost luggage and emergency travel rebooking services.
With a worldwide network of preferred medical providers, we help ensure that your members get the appropriate medical care they need in every corner of the globe. From physician referrals to coordination of medical evacuations, we’re there to meet our clients' needs when they need it most.
Our experienced, multi-disciplinary team of security experts help minimize risks by supplying relevant and timely intelligence, as well as 24/7 intervention and evacuation services. We provide immediate response for anything from a minor security incident to truly life-threatening events. We also offer identity theft assistance services.
From restaurant reservations to event tickets, tee times to spa appointments, our concierge specialists are available 24/7 to respond to virtually any request – large or small.
Our assistance specialists are here to keep your travellers on the move. A unique service that is like having a dedicated around-the-clock travel counsellor just a phone call away to solve last-minute travel problems or emergencies.