Procedure for confirming and collecting unclaimed property in British Columbia:
Where the last known address of the owner is in British Columbia, property becomes unclaimed if the owner is not located within 12 months of the property becoming unclaimed, as prescribed by applicable law.
AIG Canada will maintain a database of unclaimed property in British Columbia for the following time periods:
• 6 years if property value is less than $1,000;
• 10 years if the property value is between $1,000 to $24,999;
• 30 years if the property value is $25,000 or greater.
For amounts of $200 and more, AIG Canada will make reasonable efforts to locate and notify owners.
Reasonable efforts may include:
• Attempt to contact the recipient by mail or phone at the last known address.
• Contact policy holder’s broker or agent, if applicable.
• Contact claim adjuster, if applicable.
• Use of other resources where available.
Please send your inquiries to:
AIG Insurance Company of Canada
120 Bremner Boulevard, Suite 2200
Toronto, ON M5J 0A8
By Email: CanadaClaimsInquiry@aig.com
By Phone: 1-800-387-4481