Accidental injury, unexpected illness, and severe weather are just some of the ways in which medical emergencies can arise while employees are travelling abroad.
Out-of-country healthcare services are not typically covered under Canada’s public insurance program, and emergency situations are further complicated by differences in language and standards of care. Faced with limited resources and a moral “duty of care” obligation, organizations need quality out-of-country medical coverage and assistance services that can respond effectively to travel medical emergencies.
Features & Benefits
- Provides the valuable coverage needed to cover medical expenses outside of Canada, which may not be covered under provincial healthcare programs
- Coverage for physician visits, hospital room and board, emergency evacuation, family transportation, and more
- An effective cost management tool for companies, coordinating medical case management with claims administration
- Helps travelers avoid significant out-of pocket expenses by arranging for direct billing with medical facilities, whenever possible.
- In a medical emergency, qualified physicians and nurses are accessible 24/7 to arrange a variety of services, from hospital referrals to emergency prescription replacements
- Programs can be customized to offer a wide range of limits and are available for various trip durations - from a few days, a week, a month, up to one year
- Helps businesses fulfill their commitment to their employees’ well-being, wherever they travel
- Medical Expense
- In-Hospital Cash
- Bedside Visitor
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Family Transportation
AIG’s Out-of-Country Medical program has the flexibility and global reach to enable organizations to respond to a full range of traveller needs. We offer a variety of coverage and service enhancements to address more specific exposures for an organization.
Provides a lump sum payment for a covered accident that result in a loss of life, limbs, speech, hearing or sight. An affordable benefit for covered individuals for which the sponsor pays the plan cost.
Covers medical services related to accidents or emergency sicknesses experienced while the insured is travelling abroad. Address expenses not otherwise covered by provincial healthcare and workers’ compensation programs. Includes coverage for physician visits and hospital room and board.
A valuable benefit that pays for an emergency medical evacuation due to an injury or emergency sickness incurred while 160 kilometres or more away from home. Assistance personnel will help coordinate and arrange emergency medical transportation to the nearest appropriate medical facility or to a hospital near home once the insured is stabilized. We arrange for direct billing with medical facilities, whenever possible, to help travellers avoid significant out-of-pocket expenses or cash/credit limit complications should an incident occur.
Pays monthly cash benefits for the duration of an insured’s hospital stay due to a covered accidental injury. Supplements provincial hospital coverage and helps protect against unforeseen costs such as parking and transportation costs, child care, and private accommodations.
As part of this option, we will arrange for the preparation and air transportation of a traveller’s mortal remains to his/her country of domicile in the event of death.
Through AIG’s wholly-owned global assistance company, we offer a broad spectrum of assistance services that can be integrated into any of the programs we provide. Our services are delivered through an international network of wholly-owned assistance centres that operate 24/7 and that are staffed with doctors and nurses as well as multi-lingual/multi-cultural specialists who coordinate assistance services. We offer a comprehensive range of medical, travel, security and personal assistance services, including:
With a worldwide network of preferred medical providers, we help ensure that your members get the appropriate medical care they need in every corner of the globe. From physician referrals to coordination of medical evacuations, we’re there to meet our clients' needs when they need it most.
- Emergency medical evacuation transportation assistance
- Physician/hospital/dental/vision referrals
- Repatriation of mortal remains
- Return travel arrangements
- Emergency prescription replacement
- Dispatch of doctor or specialist
- In-patient and out-patient medical case management
- Qualified liaison for relaying medical information to family members
- Arrangements of visitor to bedside of hospitalized insured
- Eyeglasses and corrective lens replacement assistance
- Medical payment arrangements
- Medical cost containment/expense recovery and overseas investigation
- Medical bill audits
- Shipment of medical records
- Medical equipment rental/replacement
Our assistance coordinators are just a phone call away to help with a wide array of unexpected travel problems including lost passports, prescription replacements, tracking down lost luggage and emergency travel rebooking services.
Our experienced, multi-disciplinary team of security experts help minimize risks by supplying relevant and timely intelligence, as well as 24/7 intervention and evacuation services. We provide immediate response for anything from a minor security incident to truly life-threatening events. We also offer identity theft assistance services.
From restaurant reservations to event tickets, tee times to spa appointments, our concierge specialists are available 24/7 to respond to virtually any request – large or small.
Our assistance specialists are here to keep your travellers on the move. A unique service that is like having a dedicated around-the-clock travel counsellor just a phone call away to solve last-minute travel problems or emergencies.